Ladies of Charity
A Short Story About the Ladies of Charity of Chattanooga
“Charity is the cement which binds communities to God and persons to one another” ~ St Vincent de Paul
St. Vincent de Paul founded the Ladies of Charity in Paris, France in 1617. In the United States, the first Ladies of Charity organization was established in November of 1629 in St. Louis, Missouri. The Ladies of Charity is the oldest volunteer group in existence. Our worldwide volunteers serve poor and needy individuals and families numbering over 420,000, in 43 counties.
Our Chattanooga Ladies of Charity was established in 1963 with volunteer members from parishes throughout the area. After operating from a house, where sandwiches and soup were provided for those who were hungry, the group opened the Greater Good Thrift Store, which is now located at 2821 Rossville Blvd, Chattanooga. This location makes us accessible to Chattanooga’s residents who live on the margins. Items for sale include clothes, household goods, electronic and numerous other items. All of the proceeds raised go back into the community. This location also serves as a touchpoint for our Vincentian mission both spiritually and physically. Our Social Service program operates out of this building, providing needed assistance for utilities, food, medicine, housing, clothing and other expenses.
The Ladies of Charity of Chattanooga partners with CHI and donate to the Comfort Closet. We also provide support to Baby University at Signal Centers. We provide clothing to individuals, who have been refer to us by the city of Chattanooga, for the purpose of interviewing for positions after job training. These just a few of our ways we provide comfort and support in a time of need.
We have very dedicated volunteers who donate thousands of hours of hard work each year. Without our volunteers none of this would be possible.
If you would like to find out more information about Ladies of Chartity please visit our website By Clicking Here.